I have worked hard to be a little healthier lately–more workouts, more veggies, more fruit, less junk food. I started this little experiment because I was told it could help me out with the pain I have dealt with from arthritis–and it worked! As an added bonus, I have dropped 20 pounds in the last three months–not a bad side effect! 😉
One of the things I love about the way Hubby and I are approaching this is that we didn’t cut any food out completely; we are simply more cognizant about how we make them. Nothing processed–we make it from scratch (though we did that most of the time before). If we want a sweet treat, we have it–but we have 2 small cookies, not 6. 😉
That being said, I have a bag of whole-wheat flour here, and I was determined to make something fun with it. I researched a bunch of scone recipes, made a couple attempts at my own, and this is what I came up with.
These Blueberry Lemon Scones are super-tasty, with a crumbly crust on the outside and a soft, moist center. Perfect for a midmorning snack with a piping-hot cup of coffee or tea!
Lemon Blueberry Scones
|2 Cups||Whole Wheat or All Purpose Flour*|
|2 tsp.||Cream of Tartar|
|1 tsp.||Baking Soda|
|1 Stick||Butter (8 Tablespoons)|
|2||Eggs (Fork Beaten)|
|1/3 Cup||Heavy Cream|
|2 Tbsp.||Lemon Juice|
|Zest of 1 Lemon|
|1 Cup||Fresh Blueberries|
|1-2 tsp.||Cane Sugar (optional)|
*Please Note: Using Whole Wheat Flour will change the texture of the final product.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with Parchment Paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Flour, Cream of Tartar, Baking Soda, and Salt.
- Cut the stick of Butter into 8-10 pieces, and add to the flour mixture. Use a pastry blender to mix the butter into the flour, mixing only until the butter is slightly smaller than pea-sized.
- Add the Eggs, Cream, Lemon Juice and Zest. Stir until it just comes together.
- Add the Blueberries and gently combine by hand, trying to keep as many blueberries whole as possible.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll into a large circle, about 3/4 – 1 inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut into 12 wedges. (Alternatively, break into 12 pieces and shape each piece into a triangle shape. This will prevent blueberries from being cut in half).
- Put 12 triangle pieces on parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with Cane Sugar (I used 1 pack of Sugar in the Raw for the entire batch).
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until brown.
- Serve with a little butter and your favorite beverage. Enjoy!
Do you have any favorite treats that are healthier than they taste? Favorite fruit or veggie recipes? Feel free to share! 🙂